The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an established San Francisco-based nonprofit organization defending online privacy and free expression, seeks a temporary Grant Writer to support EFF's fundraising operations during a team member’s leave of absence. The Grant Writer is a key member of EFF's highly collaborative Development Team of eight. The group raises over $10 million each year with the help of over 40,000 annual donors.
Working at EFF
Holidays and Personal Time Off
- 14 paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Years.
- 20 personal time off (PTO) days to be used for any purpose.
Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 100% paid insurance for all full-time employees beginning the first full month after their start dates.
- 50% paid health insurance for immediate family members (including unmarried partners) may be added to our plan at group rates, with premiums automatically deducted from payroll pre-tax. (VSP and Dental paid by employee but deducted pre-tax)
- Includes orthodontia (braces) for employees and their covered dependents.
403(b)(7) Retirement Savings Program
- For every pre-tax dollar employees contribute to their own retirements, EFF will contribute 10 cents.
- At its discretion, EFF contributes $1,000 into each employee's retirement account every year (they have to have one!) .
Student Loan Reimbursement
- For qualified employees with student debt, EFF provides monthly reimbursement for the full amount.
- For qualified employees who rent their homes, EFF will pay the difference between employees' contributions of 19% of their salaries and a maximum monthly rental payment of $2,500 after one year of employment.
- For qualified employees who wish to purchase homes, EFF has a fund that, until exhausted, will provide zero-payment, shared equity mortgage loans up to 15% of a home's purchase price, up to $150,000.
Discretionary Paid Leave
- Employees are eligible for a discretionary paid leave (similar to a sabbatical) of up to three months after every seven years of full-time employment.
Parking and Commuter Checks
- EFF has free parking in our building.
- Employees can choose to have fees for commuting to work on public transit deducted from their payrolls pre-tax.
Other reasons working at EFF is awesome
- $25 per month toward employees' cell phone bills.
- Dog-friendly office with 13 lovable cuddle monsters.
- Discretionary paid moving expenses.
- Fully operational kitchen with oven and stove.
- Paid professional dues (like bar association memberships).
- Paid work visas for foreign nationals.
- Workshop Wednesdays – learning from co-workers and friends of EFF.
- Reasonably priced vending machines that have been featured in the Washington Post.
- EFFers often organize activities with their co-workers, like
- Weekly TNG viewing parties
- Book Club
- Fancy Friday
- Game night
- Weird Food Club
* Occasionally we have surprise popups come by, like Lolcatering, a solution-oriented disruptive brand dedicated to game-changing the pro bono publico culinary problem space through a team of change agents who pro-actively leverage the synergies inherent in free lunch as a service. In the cloud.
* Interesting people from all over the world often stop by EFF
*EFF’s benefits may change as the needs of the organization change, though we’ll always enjoy working to protect digital rights in the company of friends.