While there are many promising applications of XR technologies, they also have the potential of making surveillance even more ubiquitous in our public and private lives. As these technologies are seemingly reaching an inflection point, the decisions human right defenders make today will have a lasting impact on the role these technologies play in our life tomorrow. Our panels will provide some context around how we reached the present moment, as well as consider how we might mitigate some of the surveillance issues lying just beyond the horizon.
Event Schedule (PST): 12PM-1PM
Intro to XR Privacy issues
- Katitza Rodriguez - As EFF’s Policy Director for Global Policy, Katitza concentrates on comparative policy of global privacy issues, as well as government access to data at the intersection of human rights law.
- Avi Bar-Zeev - XR pioneer and co-inventor of Microsoft HoloLens. Avi has almost three decades of experience in XR, formerly working with Apple, Amazon, Google Earth, Second Life, Disney VR, and more.
Panel on XR Surveillance
- Kurt Opsahl (moderator) - Deputy Executive Director and General Council at the EFF. Kurt is an experienced attorney who, in addition to leading EFF’s Coders’ Rights Project, is an expert in civil liberties, free speech and privacy law cases.
- Daniel Leufer - Europe Policy Analyst at Access Now’s Brussels office and former Mozilla Fellow. He works on issues around artificial intelligence and data protection, with a focus on biometrics.
- Kavya Pearlman - XR Safety Initiative (XRSI) Founder and Information Security Researcher. Kavya is an award-winning cybersecurity professional, previously advising Facebook and serving as head of security for Second Life.
- Micaela Mantegna aka “Abogamer” - Affiliate at Berkman Klein Center at Harvard doing research on video game policy, ethics, and immersive technologies for extended reality (XR). She also founded GeekyLegal, Women In Games Argentina (WIGAr), and is an ambassador for Women in Games International (WIGJ).
Event Time: Wednesday, November 3rd, 12:00PM Pacific / 3:00 PM Eastern (check your local time here)
A recording will be made available.
EFF is dedicated to a harassment-free experience for everyone, and all participants are encouraged to view our full Event Expectations.