EFF is seeking a full-time Operations Engineer. This person will work with the other members of the EFF Technical Operations team to build, optimize, and maintain a wide variety of infrastructure. The ideal candidate will love EFF's mission and will bring the experience needed to help us as we transition from traditional system administration to more engineering-focused roles.
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking applicants for the position of Staff Technologist or Senior Staff Technologist to join our Technology Projects team. EFF is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world; since 1990, we have been at the forefront of campaigns to keep the awesome parts of the Internet awesome, and fix the parts that are broken.
We're building web applications that keep the Internet free, open and awesome. We want you to help.
EFF is looking for a Web Developer with:
- A love of free and open-source software. Experience with a CRM like CiviCRM is a plus.
Read more and apply at https://www.eff.org/opportunities/jobs/web-dev.
Working at EFF
Holidays and Personal Time Off
- 14 paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Years.
- 20 personal time off (PTO) days to be used for any purpose.
Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- 100% paid insurance for all full-time employees beginning the first full month after their start dates.
- 50% paid health insurance for immediate family members (including unmarried partners) may be added to our plan at group rates, with premiums automatically deducted from payroll pre-tax. (VSP and Dental paid by employee but deducted pre-tax)
- Includes orthodontia (braces) for employees and their covered dependents.
403(b)(7) Retirement Savings Program
- For every pre-tax dollar employees contribute to their own retirements, EFF will contribute 10 cents.
- At its discretion, EFF contributes $1,000 into each employee's retirement account every year (they have to have one!) .
Student Loan Reimbursement
- For qualified employees with student debt, EFF provides monthly reimbursement for the full amount.
- For qualified employees who rent their homes, EFF will pay the difference between employees' contributions of 19% of their salaries and a maximum monthly rental payment of $2,500 after one year of employment.
- For qualified employees who wish to purchase homes, EFF has a fund that, until exhausted, will provide zero-payment, shared equity mortgage loans up to 15% of a home's purchase price, up to $150,000.
Discretionary Paid Leave
- Employees are eligible for a discretionary paid leave (similar to a sabbatical) of up to three months after every seven years of full-time employment.
Parking and Commuter Checks
- EFF has free parking in our building.
- Employees can choose to have fees for commuting to work on public transit deducted from their payrolls pre-tax.
Other reasons working at EFF is awesome
- $25 per month toward employees' cell phone bills.
- Dog-friendly office with 13 lovable cuddle monsters.
- Discretionary paid moving expenses.
- Fully operational kitchen with oven and stove.
- Paid professional dues (like bar association memberships).
- Paid work visas for foreign nationals.
- Workshop Wednesdays – learning from co-workers and friends of EFF.
- Reasonably priced vending machines that have been featured in the Washington Post.
- EFFers often organize activities with their co-workers, like
- Weekly TNG viewing parties
- Book Club
- Fancy Friday
- Game night
- Weird Food Club
* Occasionally we have surprise popups come by, like Lolcatering, a solution-oriented disruptive brand dedicated to game-changing the pro bono publico culinary problem space through a team of change agents who pro-actively leverage the synergies inherent in free lunch as a service. In the cloud.
* Interesting people from all over the world often stop by EFF
*EFF’s benefits may change as the needs of the organization change, though we’ll always enjoy working to protect digital rights in the company of friends.