The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking a full-time Web Developer to work with our Engineering and Design team. This team supports EFF.org and other internal and external web applications.
The Web Developer role is a full-time position based in EFF's San Francisco office. This is not a remote position. The starting salary for our team is $80,000 and increases based on skills, experience and responsibility. We offer excellent benefits package including: housing cost assistance, student loan assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, parental leave, a family- and pet-friendly workplace, and more.
- Support the development of several different web applications writing code and documentation.
- Collaborate with the team to implement best practices around testing, security practices, code review and other team workflows.
- Collaborate with other technical teams at EFF, especially our Technical Operations team.
- Collaborate with peers to write, review, and provide feedback on technical design proposals.
- You will also have opportunities to collaborate on other technical projects and with EFF's other teams on technology, policy and data related issues.
Skills we expect you to already have:
- Strong software development skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Good at collaborating with others.
- Ability to quickly grasp new technological concepts and explain them to others.
- Education and/or experience in computer science, software engineering, or a related field.
- Have a strong interest on EFF’s mission
You will need to know or be able to learn:
- Ruby and Ruby on Rails fluency.
- Experience building mobile-first responsive websites
- Knowledge of how to keep web applications secure
- A love of free and open-source software.
- Experience with a CRM like CiviCRM is a plus.
EFF is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world; since 1990, we have been at the forefront of campaigns to keep the awesome parts of the Internet awesome, and fix the parts that are broken.
The Engineering and Design team is a graphics and web services team inside EFF. You'll join a team of developers and designers to lead high-impact campaigns that protect civil liberties online. We care deeply about EFFs projects and advocacy, and we think our work helps make the Internet a better place. We’re responsible for the EFF.org website and many other technical projects, internal and external. The team has currently nine full-time staff. We work closely with other tech teams at EFF and collaborate with organizational projects in all areas of work.
EFF is an amazing place to work. Our Engineering and Design team enjoys a quiet space to work (no open plan office!), a collaborative and kind communication style, and freedom to propose new experiments and ideas.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please submit a resume with links to recent work and a cover letter indicating your interest in the position and in EFF to apply.