The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Help Desk Lead to join our Technical Operations team. EFF is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world. Founded in 1990, EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development. We work to ensure that rights and freedoms are enhanced and protected as our use of technology grows.
The Help Desk Lead guides the Help Desk side of the Technical Operations team, setting strategies and keeping initiatives on track, in close coordination with the Techops Director. This person triages incoming support tickets and responds personally as appropriate. Our ideal applicant is someone who has strong technical skills, is a resourceful and creative problem solver, and will make a meaningful contribution to our seven-person team.
We enthusiastically encourage applicants from non-traditional backgrounds.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Being the first point of contact for Help Desk tickets, ensuring staff receive the technical support they need in a timely manner.
- Developing and leading a laptop management program to increase staff laptop security and privacy, and staying up-to-date in a rapidly evolving macOS landscape.
- Taking responsibility for planning and project management of Help Desk initiatives, working closely with the Technical Operations Director.
- Assisting in setting goals and milestones for Technical Operations projects. Helping the Help Desk break down and distribute tasks.
- Maintaining multiple self-hosted, internal services by applying regular updates and security patches and implementing requested features.
- Experience administering and troubleshooting macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android devices and providing general IT support.
- Experience on the command line and with one or more scripting languages (such as Ruby, Python, Bash).
- Friendly, empathetic, and customer service oriented attitude.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate user needs and take action accordingly.
- Understanding of the importance of security and privacy.
Helpful Additional Qualifications:
- Ability to create, lead, and implement strategic long-term plans.
- Experience contributing to open-source and other group engineering projects.
- Experience with DevOps tools, including containerization, automated testing, and Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment.
- Experience with Client Platform Engineering technologies such as provisioning and configuration management tools.
This is a full-time non-exempt position based in EFF’s offices in San Francisco. The position requires supporting staff in-person and troubleshooting laptops and other devices at EFF’s San Francisco office; working remotely is not an option.
EFF is a great place to work. We offer a supportive and empowering environment, along with an excellent benefits package including housing cost assistance, student loans assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, parental leave, a dog-friendly workplace, and more.
Starting pay is $85,000. In addition, in recognition of the challenges with living in the San Francisco Bay Area, we have a generous rental assistance program, a student loan repayment program that can cover your minimum monthly student loan payments after one year of employment, and working at EFF is rewarding in countless ways.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build a diverse and inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
We welcome applications from all qualified applicants. However, this job requires U.S. work authorization.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter indicating why you are interested in the position and working at EFF.