miniLinks for 2006-08-14
MiniLinks by Danny O'Brien
August 14, 2006
- Never Mind the Piracy, Feel the Profits
Ed Felten says that the DRM debate has moved from combating piracy to supporting price discrimination...
- "DRMs Enable Business Models, They Don't Stop Piracy" - Universal VP
... as Universal's Jerry Pierce confirms the change of tack.
- "We Have Already Helped you Filter Out Excess Web Pages!"
Human Rights China documents how Yahoo censors its Chinese users...
- "Lost" in Translation
...while Chinese TV fans bypass censorship by trading and translating US shows...
- Install the Circumventor, Get Paid $10
...and free censorware-bypassing developers offer $10 to help free speech.
- Hoboken Battles Giant Robot, Software Licenses
City's cars trapped in an automatic car lot during software payment dispute.
- Berkman Center Announces Citizen Journalism Project
Blogging rights resources take another giant step forward...
- Law Enforcement Use Facebook To Capture Public Urinators
...As police start Net data-mining on the smallest scale.
- Past Behavior No Indication of Future Temptation
Google's CEO claims that it would "never" let search records escape, then backs down.
- Layperson's Guide to the RIAA Lawsuits
Grant Robertson attempts to simplify how the music industry sues the world.