EFF is seeking a software engineer to join our Engineering & Design team in our San Francisco office. The Engineering & Design team is responsible for EFF's web presence and the architecture that underlies it. You'll work with EFF’s activists, attorneys, and technologists to build web applications that help protect civil liberties online.
A strong candidate will have solid programming skills, good general knowledge of software development (algorithms, databases, operating systems, complexity, etc.), effective communication, a collaborative work ethic, and an urge to use their technical expertise to make the world better.
- Work with the team to build and improve EFF websites and pages.
- Develop code to implement new features.
- Write tests to verify functionality and detect regressions.
- Release, test, and deploy EFF websites.
- Document the software and processes you develop.
- 4 years of programming experience (full-time, academic or professional).
- A love of free and open-source software.
- Experience with our tools and technologies: Drupal, CiviCRM, Git/GitHub/Gitlab, Docker, databases, Linux system administration.
- Ability to work closely with other teams to prioritize requests.
- Experience in working with nonprofits.
Interested in joining the team? Click the button below, and please include:
- A short note introducing yourself and telling us why you want to work at EFF.
- Your résumé.
- Code samples: any language, a few hundred lines that can be analyzed on their own, on a public site such as GitHub or submitted with application.
- Email addresses of 3 professional references.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
This is a full time position based in San Francisco with full benefits and a salary of $75K/year.