The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking a full-time Staff Technologist to work with our Browser Extensions team as the lead developer for HTTPS Everywhere. This is one of our efforts to encrypt the web and make it easy for all users to browse the web securely.
This Staff Technologist role is a full-time position based in EFF's San Francisco office. This is not a remote position; if you live elsewhere and cannot move to the San Francisco area, please do not apply. The salary range for this position is $70-$110K, depending on skills and experience. We offer an excellent benefits package including assistance relocating to the San Francisco area, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program, paid time off, holiday benefits, student loans assistance, housing cost assistance, paid family leave, flexible hours, and more. Insurance is 100% employee covered 50% for spouse family premiums. Plus if you have a (well-behaved) dog, you can bring your dog to work!
- Lead development of HTTPS Everywhere (over 4 million users and bundled with Tor Browser) writing code and documentation.
- Inspire and guide the project’s vibrant open source community.
- Collaborate with other technical teams at EFF (and the major browser companies).
- Collaborate with peers to write, review, and provide feedback on technical design proposals.
- Collaborate with EFF's lawyers on impact litigation, EFF's activism team on public policy campaigns, or explaining technology issues to the press, the public, and the government.
- You will also have opportunities to collaborate on other technical projects and with EFF's other teams on technology, policy and computer science-related issues.
Skills we expect you to already have:
- Strong software development skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Good at collaborating with others.
- Ability to quickly grasp new technological concepts and explain them to others.
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in computer science, software engineering, or a related field.
- Committed to EFF's mission.
You will need to know or be able to learn:
- Browser addon development and knowledge of the Web Extensions API, and familiarity with the Web Crypto API.
- A high-level understanding of how cryptography works, how it can fail, and how to use it safely. This could include primitives like hash functions, ciphers, signatures, etc, and understand the nature of attacks against them, but not perform cryptanalysis or crypto research yourself.
- How to use and avoid pitfalls with web cryptography.
- How to manage a large, active open source community or project.
EFF is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world; since 1990, we have been at the forefront of campaigns to keep the awesome parts of the Internet awesome, and fix the parts that are broken.
The Technology Projects team is a family of coders and technologists who are committed to working on projects that help make the Internet a better place. We are responsible for many of EFF's external technical projects, including HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, Certbot, Panopticlick and key parts of Let’s Encrypt. We create and maintain these projects with a large coalition of external organizational and open source collaborators. The team currently has ten full-time staff, three part-time contractors, and around a dozen close external collaborators (along with the hundreds of people who have contributed to our open source projects, and two team dogs, who haven't really made any code contributions).
The Technology Projects team also provides computer science expertise and leadership to the rest of EFF: we watch for technologies that, by accident or design, pose a risk to Internet users' freedoms -- and then look for ways to fix them.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to apply.