EFF is seeking a senior software engineer to join our Engineering & Design team in our San Francisco office. The Engineering & Design team is responsible for EFF's web presence and the architecture that underlies it. A successful candidate will have broad knowledge of web technologies and frameworks, ability to assess new technologies, experience implementing solutions quickly, leadership in building consensus around technical decisions and getting team buy-in, and the ability to collaborate with and deliver for a diverse group of colleagues.
- Work with the team to build and improve EFF websites and pages.
- Investigate, propose, and execute potential tool and process improvements.
- Mentor new hires and advise less-experienced team members.
- Lead by example in seeing tasks through and cleaning up loose ends.
- Identify common requests and either automate them or enable other teams to perform those tasks themselves.
- 4 years of programming experience (full-time, academic or professional).
- At least one year in a leadership role among software engineers.
- Experience with our tools and technologies: Drupal, Ruby/Rails, CiviCRM, Git/GitHub/Gitlab, Docker, Linux system administration
- Ability to work closely with other teams to prioritize requests.
- Ability to digest complex engineering issues down to simple explanations.
- History of non-technical leadership accomplishments (e.g. mentoring, starting new programs at work).
- Risk assessment and contingency planning skills.
- Skills in time management, communication, collaboration, and leadership.
- Experience in working with nonprofits.
Interested in joining the team? Click the button below, and please include:
- A short note introducing yourself and telling us why you want to work at EFF.
- Your résumé.
- Code samples: any language, a few hundred lines that can be analyzed on their own, on a public site such as GitHub or submitted with application.
- Email addresses of 3 professional references.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
This is a full time position based in San Francisco with full benefits and a salary of $80k/year.