EFF is seeking a Senior Fellow focused on decentralizing the Internet. This is a two-year fellowship with the potential to be extended for one to two additional years. The ideal candidate will act as a public advocate helping establish EFF as a leader in the civil liberties implications of decentralizing the Internet. You’ll help chart a course for EFF to have a big impact in the public conversations about decentralization of the Internet and how it fits into our mission of ensuring technology supports freedom, justice, and innovation for all people of the world. Through fierce public advocacy, blogging, and social media, this Fellow will help us create a future internet that is more decentralized, resilient and protective of civil liberties and innovation.
Serve as a Public Advocate on Issues Related to Decentralization and Public Policy (60%)
- Advise on public policy around the decentralized web and help establish organizational positions in relation to EFF’s mission with regard to topics such as decentralized tools and cryptocurrencies;
- Advise on public policy around non-blockchain decentralized technologies such as Mastodon, Blue Sky, Diaspora, Manyverse, or others;
- Write blog posts and research papers on topics related to civil liberties (privacy, free expression, and innovation) and decentralization;
- Build a coalition with others in the decentralized web space;
- Field media requests and write publicly about EFF’s decentralization work;
- Serve as a co-leader for EFF’s Decentralization Working Group
Help EFF Establish a Stronger Presence on the Decentralized Web (20%)
- Collaborate closely with different EFF departments and teams on priorities
- Identify key protocols, ecosystems, and communities where EFF should engage more deeply due to their alignment to our long-term objectives of user control. decentralization, and privacy. Example ecosystems to evaluate include: Tor onion services, Mastodon, Diaspora, IPFS, Handshake, and privacy-centric cryptocurrencies such as ZCash and Monero.
- Make recommendations to EFF for developing official EFF engagement with these systems, and work with the EFF team to establish our presence where appropriate.
Liaison to the Decentralized Ecosystem (20%)
- Connect with other members of the decentralized web through community events and conferences (mostly online due to COVID, but potentially in person later)
- Help explain the value of EFF’s work to members of the decentralized ecosystem
Qualities We’re Seeking (i.e., Competencies):
- Strong communication skills
- Powerful writing to translate complex topics into compelling articles
- Ability to problem solve and engage in self-directed research and advocacy
- Ability to collaborate closely with people with different backgrounds and varying levels of technical expertise
- Must demonstrate care and respect toward coworkers, outside partners, members of the public, donors, and others with whom this role interacts;
- Must work to positively and collaboratively resolve conflicts and overcome challenges
- Must have effective skills at oral and written communication
- Must be able to understand and articulate with accuracy EFF’s mission, positions, and work;
- Must be available and responsive to colleagues, outside partners and others over email, phone, and online chat, with the ability to respond and reliably to time-sensitive opportunities;
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences including race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Experience with a Content Management System
- Experience in public advocacy (grassroots, lobbying, online, etc)
Experience that is appreciated but not required:
- Significant expertise in cryptocurrency and the decentralized web
- Knowledge of open source communities
- Knowledge of financial laws
- Experience in public speaking, public testimony, or giving interviews to the press
Classification: Exempt, Union, Full-time (40 hours/week)
Salary: $95,000 to $110,000 DOE
Expected hours of work: Typically Monday - Friday; some evenings and weekends from time to time
Reports to: Director of Technology Projects
Supervisory responsibilities: None
Location: You may work from San Francisco or you may work from another U.S. location. This position will need to keep Pacific time zone hours.
Commitment to Diversity
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.