The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an established San Francisco-based nonprofit organization defending online privacy and free expression, is looking for an engaging individual to help expand EFF’s grassroots membership which currently includes over 30,000 annual donors. The Member Outreach Coordinator will join EFF's growing eleven-person Development Team in their efforts to raise over $12 million each year.
This is a full-time exempt position at EFF’s offices in San Francisco with a starting salary of $68,000 and an excellent benefits package including: housing cost assistance, student loan assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, parental leave, a family- and pet-friendly workplace, and more.
As EFF’s Member Outreach Assistant, you’ll organize EFF’s presence at events including tech conferences, and engage with supporters and curious individuals on Internet rights issues. This in-person interaction is a key part of EFF’s movement toward broader public awareness and fundraising for digital civil liberties. The Member Outreach Assistant works under the supervision of the Member Engagement Manager to help develop and implement effective strategies for growing our donor base. If you love the idea of traveling to conferences in California and across the United States and talking to many different types of people who are passionate about EFF, this is the perfect job for you!
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Representing EFF at information booths and handling donations
- Overseeing booth supplies including packing and delivery of member premiums, updating donation forms, printing display materials, and managing payment supplies
- Scheduling booth shifts with staff members and volunteers
- Interacting with conference organizers to file applications and maintain great relationships
- Coordinating with program staffers to keep numerous informational handouts on EFF projects up-to-date
- Updating EFF’s online store
- Helping to maintain EFF’s online donation forms
- Researching potential new audiences and finding opportunities to engage with them
- Supporting the Development Team with online fundraising campaigns by brainstorming ideas, setting up email blasts, and writing social media posts.
- Interacting with supporters and addressing inquiries by phone, email, and in person
- Occasionally packaging and shipping donor gifts and EFF merchandise
- Some support with data entry, accounting review, and membership supply organization as needed
Successful candidates bring the following attributes:
- A socially-aware communicator who finds enjoyment in connecting with people of all backgrounds, interests, and experiences—and talking about EFF!
- Likes problem solving and taking initiative
- Your team members know you’ll follow through with plans, be consistently present, and jump in when they need help
- Excellent time management whether working with a team or independently
- A great listener
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Flexible and committed to finding a solution when facing obstacles or delays
- Openness to learning quirky, non-traditional tech tools including customer relationship management (CRM) software
- Experience working with a nonprofit donor program is preferred
- The Member Outreach Assistant will have ample opportunity to learn about online rights issues, but candidates should begin with a passion for privacy, free expression, and the ways our rights intersect with technology.
- Applicants must be able to work 40 hours per week.
- Applicants must be able to travel up to 35% of the time for events in other locations, including some evening and weekend events.
- When working an event (such as staffing a booth at a conference), an applicant must be able to set up materials (including moving chairs and tables, lifting boxes, and laying out materials) and be able to stand and speak from the booth for an 8-hour shift with minimal breaks. The environment may be noisy and crowded.
- Applicants will need to be able to travel with materials for events, which often means bringing a large suitcase across a conference center, lifting bags overhead to place in overhead bins, and taking planes and trains to events.
- Applicants are expected to work primarily Monday through Friday from the EFF offices in San Francisco.
- Applicants must be able to work from a shared office setting, where two or more people share one office.
- The role includes sedentary computer work, but also requires some filing, sorting, and moving packages. Applicants need to be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
To apply please submit a custom cover letter and resume by August 21st.