The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, is seeking a full-time legislative activist. Since its founding in 1990, EFF has championed civil liberties in the digital world, combining legal expertise, technical acumen, and grassroots advocacy to safeguard user rights in technology policy.
The legislative activist will focus on EFF’s work advocating for state laws that protect people’s right to privacy, free expression, and innovation, as well as advocating against laws that would undercut those rights. EFF intervenes in state legislation nationwide with a particular emphasis on the California legislature. This person will also work in other areas as needed including national campaigns and non-legislative work.
About the ideal candidate: you are an excellent writer with a passion for protecting liberty online and the ability to think critically and manage time effectively. You can produce high quality written work—often under very tight deadlines—while maintaining a focus on long-term goals and EFF’s core values. You excel at bringing people together to work for a common purpose and keeping a positive attitude while navigating disagreements. You are a self-directed researcher who can read and understand draft legislation or highly technical information and explain complicated issues gracefully. You are a superb storyteller.
- Write blog posts about state legislation affecting people’s civil liberties online
- Research, develop and write bill opposition/support letters, fact sheets, and briefing material
- Track legislation both in California and nationally
- Manage email and social media campaigns urging EFF members to take action on legislative issues
- Develop strong, collaborative relationships with other grassroots advocacy groups, both in California and nationwide
- Meet with legislators and staffers on digital rights issues
- Occasionally represent EFF in public speaking engagements on state policy issues, including panel presentations, media interviews, and legislative testimony
- Organize lobbying days and other coalition activities
- Excellent writing skills, including writing and editing collaboratively
- Strong familiarity with and passion for digital civil liberties issues
- An eagerness to learn about new issues
- Social media fluency
- A track record of successfully managing complex projects while maintaining an upbeat attitude
- The ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders, both inside and outside the organization
- A proven ability to work quickly with few mistakes
Any of the following skills and areas of expertise would be advantageous:
- Experience with the state legislative process, be it as a legislative staffer, a lobbyist, an advocate, or a journalist
- Professional familiarity with any of the following issues: surveillance, law enforcement oversight, consumer privacy, net neutrality, free expression online, journalist freedom, emerging technology policies, blockchain.
- Technical skills, including content management systems;
- Public speaking experience;
- Professional journalism, or formal training in journalistic or creative writing; and
- Experience organizing online activism for an advocacy-oriented nonprofit organization.
This is a full-time exempt position based in our San Francisco office. Because we are highly collaborative and value our in-person time together, applicants seeking to work remotely will not be considered.
EFF is a great place to work. We offer a supportive and empowering environment, along with an excellent benefits package including housing cost assistance, student loans assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, parental leave, a dog-friendly workplace, and more.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Interested in applying? Please click below and include each of the following:
- A cover letter.
- A resume
- Links to a minimum of 3 but up to 6 online writing samples. Please do not send copies of these as attachments. If your writing samples aren’t already online, please publish them online before you submit them. Include the links in the space provided. Please ensure the links you provide are not behind a paywall.
- Optional: Links to any other supporting materials (such as videos of presentations you’ve given, multi-media collateral you have created, etc). Please ensure the links you provide are not behind a paywall.
We will begin resume review after the position has been open for several weeks, after which we will begin contacting qualified applicants for interviews. After the position has been filled, we will notify all the applicants. The full interview process may take up to 3 months.