The Electronic Frontier Foundation is seeking a Legal Assistant. The ideal candidate is a smart, highly-motivated person with excellent organization and communication skills eager to provide administrative support for EFF’s legal team. You will be performing a variety of support tasks including arranging travel, tracking legislative activities, assisting with intake and providing backup support for the legal secretaries.
- Travel support, including collecting information and preferences for the lawyers, finding and booking appropriate travel arrangements, coordinating expense reimbursement and tracking travel budget.
- Keeping track of attorneys’ continuing legal education compliance
- Booking conference rooms and other administrative tasks such as updating treatises
- Updating EFF’s case pages
- Providing backup support for EFF’s Intake Coordinator. The Intake Coordinator is the first point of access for legal assistance and general information about EFF for the public. When the Coordinator is on vacation or in need of overflow support, you will be performing a variety of tasks from giving information about our work to referring people to both EFF staff attorneys and outside attorneys for legal assistance.
- Providing administrative support for the legislative team, such as:
- tracking legislation
- maintaining legislative correspondence database
- research (e.g. identifying appropriate contacts in Congressional offices on EFF issues and tracking relevant upcoming hearings),
- taking distributing and maintaining notes at team meetings, and
- preparing and maintaining supporting materials for lobbying trips, such as one-pages summarizing EFF issue positions
Providing backup support to the legal secretaries, such as drafting retainer agreements, communicating with court clerks, and assisting with court filings as needed Maintaining EFF’s client conflicts database. If time allows, the legislative team may seek additional research support.
We will provide training for these tasks, but the ideal candidate will start with aptitude and enthusiasm.
- Significant experience doing administrative support work in an office environment.
- Detail-oriented, self-starter
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Helpful but not required:
- Experience as a legal assistant.
- Prior knowledge of intellectual property, free speech, and/or digital civil liberties issues.
Most of all, you must be willing and eager to help keep EFF’s litigation and legislative work running smoothly, love solving problems, and work well with others on staff.
EFF is a great place to work. We offer a supportive and empowering environment, along with an excellent benefits package including housing cost assistance, student loan assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, parental leave, a dog-friendly workplace, and more.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
This is a full-time, hourly, non-exempt position in our San Francisco office.
We are looking to fill this position quickly, so please submit your resume and cover letter indicating why you are interested in the position and working at EFF, as soon as possible. We will review on a rolling basis.