Junior UX Designer
EFF is seeking a junior UX designer who can also contribute graphic design. A successful candidate will have a good understanding of the principles of UX and how to practice them with a limited budget, good judgment on graphic design and UI design, a portfolio demonstrating their skills, experience working with web developers, and the ability to collaborate with and deliver for a diverse group of colleagues.
- Work with other teams (Activism, Development, International) and web developers to create new web sites optimized for user engagement, accessibility, multiple devices and browsers, graceful degradation, and internationalization.
- Review existing sites for opportunities to improve usability.
- Bring best practices in user-focused design to our web development workflow.
- Design art for EFF's web and print needs.
- Create paper and digital wireframes and user flows, to help refine requirements from requesting teams and to communicate them to web developers.
- Build effective working relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- A portfolio of graphic design and UX design work samples.
- One or more years of design and UX experience, including design for web applications.
- A track record of design for web applications.
- An extensive portfolio of work samples. On the UX side, this would ideally include sketches, prototypes, storyboards, user flows, wireframes, etc.
- Experience using the Adobe suite, AfterEffects, and/or Drupal.
- Experience in gathering and refining requirements from requesters.
- Experience with issues around accessibility and universal design.
- Experience with design for mobile / responsive web design.
- Understanding of design patterns, interaction design principles, and up-to-date knowledge of industry practices for both web and mobile.
- Experience working with an agile development process.
- Experience with human centered design methods, such as creating user stories and informal user testing.
- Experience in working with nonprofits.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
This is a full time position based in San Francisco with full benefits and a salary of $65k/year.