The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Help Desk Technician to join our Technical Operations team. EFF is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world. Founded in 1990, EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development. We work to ensure that rights and freedoms are enhanced and protected as our use of technology grows.
The Help Desk Technician will provide technical support to EFF’s staff by responding to a wide variety of help desk tickets, ranging from solving mysterious macOS backup errors to debugging monitors on the fritz, from troubleshooting non-native software on Linux to dealing with temperamental printers. Our ideal applicant is someone who is resourceful, organized, able to manage multiple tickets simultaneously and make a meaningful contribution to our tight-knit six-person team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Respond to help desk tickets for a wide variety of technical issues promptly and follow up afterwards to ensure issues were resolved satisfactorily
- Create and maintain a detailed online knowledge base of technical support documentation
- Train staff on EFF services and security & privacy best practices
- Manage account creation and termination for self-hosted and third-party hosted services
- Manage various internal and third-party services
- Assist in various support tasks, such as tracking down missing devices or renewing software licenses, as needed
- Experience administering and troubleshooting macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android devices, and providing general IT support
- Familiar with the command line
- Proficient with security and privacy best practices
- Able to juggle multiple priorities and learn on the job
- Friendly, empathetic, and customer-service oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Desired Additional Qualifications:
- Experience troubleshooting wifi/Ethernet/VPN networking issues
- Experience writing Bash/Python/Ruby scripts to automate regular tasks
- Experience troubleshooting Microsoft Office
- Familiar with open-source software
This is a full-time exempt position based in EFF’s offices in San Francisco. The position requires supporting staff in-person and troubleshooting laptops and other devices at EFF’s San Francisco office, working remotely is not an option.
EFF is a great place to work. We offer a supportive and empowering environment, along with an excellent benefits package including housing cost assistance, student loans assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, parental leave, a dog-friendly workplace, and more.
Salary ranges from $60-65,000 per year. In addition, in recognition of the challenges with living in the San Francisco Bay Area, we have a generous rental assistance program that can add up to $17,650, a student loan repayment program that can cover your minimum monthly student loan payments, and working at EFF is rewarding in countless ways.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter indicating why you are interested in the position and working at EFF.