The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world. Founded in 1990, EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development. EFF works to ensure that technology supports freedom, justice, and innovation for all the people of the world.
We’re looking for a Development Director to lead the organization's fundraising programs and join EFF’s senior leadership. The Development Director will take charge of EFF's eleven-person Development Team in their efforts to raise over $13 million each year.
The Development Director will lead, support and build the capacity of our growing development team, manage all aspects of our development strategy, and have a strong focus on building our individual major donor and grant fundraising capacity. The right candidate will possess rich experience, joy and skill in fundraising, talent for creating authentic relationships, resistance to fundraising cliches and passion for the roles of online privacy, free expression and innovation in a successful democracy.
EFF’s supporters large and small are savvy about both tech and law and committed to our mission. Similarly, we are committed to respecting them as donors. We apply this philosophy throughout our approach to considering internal-use technologies, donor prospecting, soliciting gifts, and stewarding relationships. You can expect hands-on support from a smart, enthusiastic fundraising team, and the backing of EFF’s Executive Director.
We’re looking for someone with these qualities:
- Experience and confidence managing a team of dedicated development professionals
- Experience working with major donors, planned giving and foundations, including making direct solicitations
- Demonstrated ability to inspire a team to reach ambitious fundraising goals while maintaining work/life balance
- Exceptional skill synthesizing complex concepts and ease communicating the profound importance of online rights for a lay audience, both in writing and in person
- Experience working in a collaborative setting, especially team writing projects
- Excellent judgement and strategic thinking
- A strong leader that colleagues can depend upon
- Comfort and interest learning unusual technical tools
- Joy building rapport with people across all manners of backgrounds, interests, and experiences
The anticipated start date for this position is late 2019 or early 2020.
EFF is a great place to work! We offer an excellent benefits package including:
- housing cost assistance;
- student loan assistance;
- medical, dental, and vision insurance;
- a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching;
- paid time off, holiday benefits, and parental leave; and
- a pet-friendly workplace, and more!
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.