The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking a full-time Community Manager to work with our Organizing team. This team supports the Electronic Frontier Alliance (EFA), a grassroots network of community and campus organizations across the United States working to educate their neighbors about the importance of digital rights and security.
The Community Manager role is a full-time position based in EFF's San Francisco office. This is not a remote position. We offer excellent benefits package including: housing cost assistance, student loan assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, parental leave, a family- and pet-friendly workplace, and more.
- Work with the EFF Organizing team to help foster community and sharing of ideas and resources among EFA groups and organizations.
- Serve as the first point of contact for groups looking to join the EFA.
- Write blog post and other pieces uplifting the work of our EFA partners;
- Promote events being hosted by EFA members;
- Help the organizing team set priorities and meet short and long-term goals;
- Work alongside other members of the Organizing team to aid in thoughtful strategic decisions.
Qualities We’re Seeking
Successful candidates bring these qualities:
- Experience working in a collaborative setting;
- Joy building rapport with people across all manners of backgrounds, interests, and experiences;
- A talent for creating authentic relationships, and passion for the principles of online privacy, free expression, and innovation;
- Excellent judgment and strategic thinking;
- Familiarity with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platforms;
- Social media fluency;
- Comfort and interest in learning unusual technical tools.
- Experience in maintaining correspondence with a substantial number of contacts.
EFF is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world; since 1990, we have been at the forefront of campaigns to keep the awesome parts of the Internet awesome, and fix the parts that are broken.
The Organizing team is a unit of EFF’s larger Activism team. You'll join a team of organizers and activists engaged in high-impact campaigns that protect civil liberties online. We care deeply about EFFs projects and advocacy, and we think our work helps make the Internet a better place. We work closely with EFF’s technologists and attorneys, collaborating on projects in all areas of EFF’s work.
EFF is an amazing place to work. Our Activism team enjoys a collaborative and kind communication style, and the freedom to propose new initiatives and ideas.
Commitment to Diversity
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For the application, you must submit each of the following:
- A cover letter.
- A resume in PDF format.
- 2-5 online writing samples (If you don't have anything online, please just publish them somewhere online such as on Medium, then send us links)