The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking a full-time Associate Director of Institutional Support to lead our institutional funding strategy, primarily by spearheading our grant writing work and developing relationships with institutional funders.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for managing every aspect of grant writing, and will be excited to help match EFF’s unique work in civil liberties advocacy, technology, and impact litigation to foundation and institutional funders. They have a proven ability to build relationships with funders and are great at keeping track of multiple deadlines and projects. They are a strong writer and communicator, are adept at integrating the feedback of others in proposals, and can develop a strategy for EFF’s institutional engagement. They will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment without sacrificing input or quality, and have the resilience to navigate setbacks with an eye toward new opportunities. They will be a thoughtful and engaged manager to one direct report.
Who We Are
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is a nonprofit civil liberties organization based in San Francisco, CA. Our mission is to ensure that technology supports freedom, justice, and innovation for all people of the world. Founded in 1990, EFF champions privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development
What You’ll Do
The Associate Director of Institutional Support will be based in San Francisco and reports to the Head of Resource Development. The role:
- Proactively researches institutional funding opportunities and determines fit to EFF’s mission, strategic objectives, core values, and programmatic work;
- Helps set ambitious annual and long term fundraising targets for institutional funders;
- Works closely with the Senior Writer to write and edit grant proposals, interim reports, and final grant reports.
If you were here right now, you would be:
- Drafting a grant proposal to a new funder about EFF’s work using impact litigation to defend encryption;
- Meeting with the Senior Writer to offer feedback on a recent draft grant report and reviewing the upcoming deliverables calendar together;
- Planning a meeting with a new potential institutional funder, yourself, and the Head of Resource Development;
- Preparing a report for the Executive Director and Head of Resource Development on this year’s institutional fundraising.
Who You Are & Keys to Success (the must-haves)
- Must have passion for EFF’s mission to ensure that technology supports freedom, justice, and innovation for all people of the world
- Must demonstrate care and respect toward coworkers, outside partners, members of the public, donors, and others with whom this role interacts;
- Must work to positively and collaboratively resolve conflicts and overcome challenges
- Must contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences including race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance.
What Else You Should Know
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The position is full-time and is ideally based in San Francisco (although we might have flexibility on location for the right candidate). The role requires very little travel (about 2 days a year). The salary for this position depends on experience. We also offer excellent benefits.
How to Apply
To learn more about the position and apply, please click the link below.