The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco, is looking for a full-time activist to fight for free speech online, innovation, and privacy. This position will work directly with our software patent reform team, and will also take on other topics.
If you are passionate about technology, dedicated to its role in building a better future and want to work alongside leaders in the field, this dream job is for you!
As an EFF activist, your responsibilities would include:
- Communicating our sometimes complex technical and legal issues to "mom and pop" in a clear, compelling, and concise voice;
- Writing blog posts about EFF’s work in a timely manner;
- Maintaining EFF’s social media presence;
- Maintaining the content of EFF's information-packed website;
- Developing energetic and innovative education and activism campaigns that engage both EFF's membership and the general public;
- Working closely with EFF attorneys, activists, technologists, and other public interest groups;
- Speaking publicly about issues related to technology and civil liberties;
- Working with lawyers, designers, web developers, and engineers to ensure that our ambitious projects launch smoothly and in a timely fashion; and
- Helping prioritize which issues are worth our available staff resources.
- Excellent writing skills;
- Strong familiarity with and passion for digital civil liberties issues;
- An eagerness to learn about new issues;
- A track record of successfully managing complex projects while maintaining an upbeat attitude;
- Social media management;
- An ability to turn things around quickly and comprehensively.
In addition, knowledge of or experience with any of the following would be advantageous:
- Technical skills, including content management systems;
- Collaborative writing and editing;
- Public speaking experience;
- Professional journalism, or formal training in journalistic or creative writing; and
- Experience organizing online activism for an advocacy-oriented nonprofit organization.
This is a full-time position based in EFF's office in San Francisco, CA. If you don’t want to live in San Francisco, you should not apply for this job!
To apply, you must submit each of the following:
- A cover letter (this should be in the body of an email, not as a separate attached document).
- A resume (this should be an attached PDF or similarly easy to access document. Please don’t send zip files.)
- A minimum of 2 but up to 4 online writing samples. Please don’t send copies of these as attachments; just send links in your cover letter or resume. If they aren’t already online, just publish them online before you submit them.
- Any other supporting materials (such as videos of presentations you’ve given, multi-media collateral you have created, etc).
Applications without these items won’t be considered. Email full applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please!
Note: If you need to send a GPG encrypted version of your application, email email@example.com (public key).