The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), an established San Francisco-based nonprofit organization defending online privacy and free expression, is looking for a full-time energetic and enthusiastic office and facilities manager to join our Operations team and ensure the physical office is a productive and resourceful environment.
The ideal candidate is personable, resourceful, and demonstrates outstanding attention to detail. The Operations Manager will be responsible for creating and maintaining a professional work environment, ensuring high levels of organizational effectiveness, communication and safety. This person must excel at scoping and delegating tasks and should demonstrate exceptional communication skills. This person will manage the Senior Operations Coordinator and Receptionist and is responsible for overall front office activities, including the reception area, mail, large purchasing requests and facilities. Additionally they will be responsible for arranging internal office moves and providing arrangements for office meetings
We value candidates who bring diverse experiences and perspectives, professional and otherwise, to our team and to EFF as a whole. If you can add value to EFF’s Operations team, please apply.
What You’ll Do
The Operations Manager, who reports to the Director of Finance and Administration, is responsible for the following:
- Maintaining a supportive and efficient office by planning and implementing office systems, layouts, furniture and equipment procurement,
- Managing relationships/agreements with external partners and vendors,
- Keeping up with up to date information pertaining to compliance, facilities, and personnel,
- Supervising two Operations staff, and
- Participating in, and managing 24/7 on-call schedule to triage building and maintenance related issues for safe and thoughtful resolution within prescribed timeframes.
Who You Are & Keys to Success (the must-haves)
To be successful in this job, you will excel in these areas:
- Strong exposure to Facilities/Office Management in a non-profit setting: A demonstrated record of project management is essential, as is a strong communication and management style. A well-developed understanding of commercial structures is paramount. Familiarity with building repairs is necessary (knows tools and not afraid to use them).
- Inclusive leadership and management: You approach leadership with a mindset of “power with” rather than “power over” and regularly include others in decision-making. You have experience managing multiple projects and keeping tasks from slipping through the cracks. You use resources wisely, and can manage a team of staff, consultants, and vendors to leverage time and talent for impact.
If you were here right now, you would be:
- Reviewing and updating vendor contracts – or seeking out proposals for alternatives
- Meeting with team leads and executive committee regarding physical workspace needs
- Monitoring workplace coronavirus guidelines and helping keep the office in compliance
- Following up on outstanding support tickets
- Offering in-office support to remote office staff – i.e., ensuring that court notices are forwarded to the appropriate legal staff
What Else You Should Know
This position is based in San Francisco. Because we are highly collaborative and value our in-person time together, applicants seeking to work remotely will not be considered.
EFF is a great place to work! We offer a supportive and empowering environment, along with an excellent benefits package including housing cost assistance, student loans assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, paid parental leave, a dog-friendly workplace, and more.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
EFF is looking to fill this position as soon as possible so please submit your application promptly, and no later than May 28, 2021. Applications submitted after that date will be considered until the position is filled.