Ban the Scan Press Conference
Electronic Frontier Alliance member The Surveillance Technology Oversight Project (S.T.O.P.), as well as Amnesty International, New York City's Public Advocate, Legal Aid Society, National Action Network, Warriors In The Garden, Immigrant Defense Project, New York Civil Liberties Union, EFF, and other advocates will hold an online press conference calling on New York City and New York State to “Ban The Scan” and outlaw government use of facial recognition.
Police use of face recognition technology is an immediate threat to New Yorkers’ safety and civil rights, particularly BIPOC communities. Civil rights groups and lawmakers will voice their support and call on New York City and New York State to “Ban The Scan” and outlaw government use of facial recognition.
- Hon. Jumaane Williams, New York City Public Advocate
- Hon. Brad Hoylman, New York State Senator (confirmation pending)
- Albert Fox Cahn, Surveillance Technology Oversight Project (STOP)
- Matt Mahmoudi, Amnesty International (AI)
- Jerome Greco, Legal-Aid Society (LAS)
- Derek Perkinson, National Action Network (NAN)
- Derrick “Dwreck” Ingram, Warriors in the Garden
- Jose Chapa, Immigrant Defense Project (IDP)
- Nathan Sheard, Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
- Daniel Schwarz, New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU)
Tuesday, January 26
10:30 am pm ET