We’ve got an amazing opportunity for a litigator to join EFF’s legal team. If you have experience and interest in patent policy or litigation and want to represent the public interest in patent and copyright policy, we want to hear from you.
EFF has always stood up for the freedom to innovate and learn. When the U.S. patent system doesn’t promote those freedoms, we step in to fight back. Just take a look at some of our work in 2021:
- We fought in court for transparency and open records in the patent system
- We filed an amicus brief defending the most important review system for granted patents against an attempt to have it thrown out, leading to a victory at the U.S. Supreme Court
- We spoke up for users at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, speaking out against new types of design patents that would have hurt computer graphics designers
- We worked to defend essential limits on patentable subject matter
- We supported a bill that would help the public find out the true owners of litigated patents
- We supported a bill to close loopholes that have let some patent trolls avoid having their patents reviewed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
We have a long history of advocating for a proportionate, transparent, and accountable patent system in the courts and before Congress and the PTO. And when internet users and small businesses get threatened by patent trolls with bogus software patents, EFF is often their first stop for truthful information, legal advice, and advocacy help.
The lawyer who steps into this role will have a wide-ranging array of responsibilities: all aspects of litigation, blogging and writing for a general audience, public speaking and media appearances, and some direct client counseling.
We’re looking for interest and experience in patent law, as well as related fields such as copyright. EFF works on cutting-edge issues that frequently touch on multiple issue areas, and half or more of your work will be in these related areas rather than being solely patent practice.
Please check out our job description and apply today! We’re seeking a candidate with at least 3 years of litigation experience, although we’re open to more. If you are an attorney with questions about this role, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.