EFF in Las Vegas for Computer Security Conferences
EFF is heading to fabulous Las Vegas this week for the summer security conferences: Black Hat USA, Security B-Sides Las Vegas and DEF CON. We're excited to see everyone there!
Come by the EFF booth to learn about our latest work, renew your membership, check out the new t-shirts or just to say hello.
- Black Hat Briefings (Caesar's Palace): Open Wednesday, July 31 to Thursday, August 1.
- BSidesLV (Tuscany): Open Wednesday, July 31 to Thursday, Aug 1.
- DEF CON (Rio): Two booth locations (vendor area and contests!) open Friday, August 2 to Sunday, August 4.
- Call Congress at the CFAA DC Dialer Booth: EFF is bringing a phone booth to the DEF CON Contest & Event area, so you can make a toll-free call to your representatives to speak out on Aaron's Law, the bill designed to bring some much needed reform to the CFAA. (Yes, we're actually bringing that phone booth.)
- DEF CON: Vegas 2.0's theSummit Party: Once again, Vegas 2.0 is hosting an event at DEF CON and raising money for EFF. "You can hobnob with similarly freedom-inclined cyberfolk, win a raffle or some door prizes, shake your pants to DJ Jackalope and others and rest easy in the knowledge that every penny generated goes straight to the EFF." Come and meet the many amazing featured guests. 20:30 at the Rio.
- R00tz (formerly DEF CON Kids): The third annual r00tz Asylum at DEF CON is free to kids aged 8-16 that have purchased a DEF CON conference badge ($180 cash at DEF CON registration). Schedule TBD.
Wednesday, July 31
• Black Hat: Legal Considerations for Cellular Research, 10:15 in Palace 1
EFF Attorney Kurt Opsahl and EFF Fellow Marcia Hofmann will give a turbo talk on legal considerations for cellular research. This briefing will provide a legal overview of what a researcher should keep in mind when investigating mobile communications, technologies, and networks.
• Black Hat: What Security Researchers Need to Know, 11:45 in Palace 3
EFF Fellow Marcia Hofmann will explain why the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act is such a dangerous tool in the hands of overzealous prosecutors.
• Black Hat: Town Hall Meeting: Reforming the CFAA 17:00 in Florentine
In this town hall meeting, join activists involved in CFAA reform efforts to discuss how you can get involved in the public debate around CFAA reform and strategize about how to have the most impact. With Kurt Opsahl, Marcia Hofmann, EFF Policy Analyst Mark Jaycox, Kevin Bankston of the Center for Democracy & Technology, Jonathan Mayer of Stanford Center for Internet and Society, and Alex Stamos of Artemis and expert witness on Aaron Swartz’s side of US vs Swartz.
Thursday, August 1
• DEF CON: Hacker Law School, 10:00 in Track 3
This workshop will provide you with the fundamentals of Intellectual Property, Crimimal Law, and Criminal Procedure that you need to protect yourself. With attorney Jim Rennie & EFF Fellow Marcia Hofmann.
• B-Sides Las Vegas: Ask the EFF Panel, 16:00-17:00 in the Underground (Siena)
Once again, the Electronic Frontier Foundation returns to the Underground to answer your toughest Off-the-Record queries. Question some of the greatest minds in the field of internet law, in what is fast becoming an annual BSidesLV tradition.
Friday, August 2
Get the latest information about how the law is racing to catch up with technological change from staffers at the EFF. This session will include updates on current EFF issues such as surveillance online and fighting efforts to use intellectual property claims to shut down free speech and halt innovation, discussion of our technology project to protect privacy and speech online, updates on cases and legislation affecting security research, and much more.
Recent DeepLinks Posts
May 28, 2015
May 28, 2015
May 28, 2015
May 28, 2015
May 27, 2015
- Fair Use and Intellectual Property: Defending the Balance
- Free Speech
- Know Your Rights
- Trade Agreements and Digital Rights
- State-Sponsored Malware
- Abortion Reporting
- Analog Hole
- Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
- Bloggers' Rights
- Broadcast Flag
- Broadcasting Treaty
- Cell Tracking
- Coders' Rights Project
- Computer Fraud And Abuse Act Reform
- Content Blocking
- Copyright Trolls
- Council of Europe
- Cyber Security Legislation
- Defend Your Right to Repair!
- Defending Digital Voices
- Development Agenda
- Digital Books
- Digital Radio
- Digital Video
- DMCA Rulemaking
- Do Not Track
- E-Voting Rights
- EFF Europe
- Encrypting the Web
- Export Controls
- FAQs for Lodsys Targets
- File Sharing
- Fixing Copyright? The 2013-2015 Copyright Review Process
- Genetic Information Privacy
- Hollywood v. DVD
- How Patents Hinder Innovation (Graphic)
- International Privacy Standards
- Internet Governance Forum
- Law Enforcement Access
- Legislative Solutions for Patent Reform
- Locational Privacy
- Mandatory Data Retention
- Mandatory National IDs and Biometric Databases
- Mass Surveillance Technologies
- Medical Privacy
- National Security and Medical Information
- National Security Letters
- Net Neutrality
- No Downtime for Free Speech
- NSA Spying
- Online Behavioral Tracking
- Open Access
- Open Wireless
- Patent Busting Project
- Patent Trolls
- PATRIOT Act
- Pen Trap
- Policy Analysis
- Public Health Reporting and Hospital Discharge Data
- Reading Accessibility
- Real ID
- Search Engines
- Search Incident to Arrest
- Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act
- Social Networks
- SOPA/PIPA: Internet Blacklist Legislation
- Student and Community Organizing
- Surveillance and Human Rights
- Surveillance Drones
- Terms Of (Ab)Use
- Test Your ISP
- The "Six Strikes" Copyright Surveillance Machine
- The Global Network Initiative
- The Law and Medical Privacy
- Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement
- Travel Screening
- Trusted Computing
- Video Games