minilinks for 2008-06-26
MiniLinks by Hugh D'Andrade
June 26, 2008
- Schwarzenegger Asks ISPs to Block Newsgroups
The California Governor and Attorney General have asked ISPs to jump on the newsgroup-blocking bandwagon -- an attempt to stop child porn that will likely block legitimate speech as well.
- Prince v. Tribute to Prince
A Norwegian tribute album featuring covers of Prince songs by various artists is the latest object of the musician's wrath.
- The Nation's First Tech Czar?
If Obama is elected President and follows through on a promise to appoint a Cabinet-level "tech czar", who would he choose?
- Orgies & Apple Pie: Googling for Community Standards
In a novel approach, lawyers in Florida are seeking to subpoena Google's search data to establish community standards of obscenity.
- Surprise! Study Finds Teens Have Plenty of Illegal Music on Their iPods
A study of teens in the UK finds that almost half the music on their iPods are infringing copies.
- George Carlin: Dead But Still Kicking the FCC
Comedian George Carlin has passed on, but the legal battle over the FCC's power to regulate speech triggered by Carlin's famous "7 words" monologue carries on.
- LonelyCylon15 Says: "Just Say No to DRM"
A lecture on the evils of DRM from the perspective of an intelligent machine.