minilinks for 2008-06-06
MiniLinks by Hugh D'Andrade
June 6, 2008
- Obama Should Lead on FISA
A CBS News Blogger has some advice for the presumptive nominee: Get to work protecting civil liberties!
- FTC Investigates Big Brother
The practice of compiling profiles on Internet users for purposes of targeted advertising is coming under scrutiny.
- Will Flame Wars Be Made Illegal?
A proposed federal statute would make it a crime to transmit communications with the intent to cause "substantial emotional distress."
- Infighting at ISPs over Using NebuAd
User tracking technology is proving controversial at ISPs, where some technicians say the technology violates user trust.
- Signs of Intelligent Life in the Music Business
Can music start-ups gain access to music catalogs by offering equity in their companies to music collecting societies?
- Digital Books: The Next MP3?
NY Times columnist Paul Krugman says the book publishing industry will soon face the technological changes that are transforming the music industry. (log-in may be required.)
- Colleges Use Pop Quiz to Fight Illegal Downloading
Rather than eliminating P2P software, some colleges require students to pass a test on copyright basics -- with good results.
- Show us the Policy