The Electronic Frontier Foundation is looking for a full-time litigator to join EFF’s team of dedicated attorneys. The ideal candidate is someone who is excited about and will help us further our mission of protecting and promoting civil liberties, and ensuring that rights and freedoms are enhanced as our use of technology grows. We’re looking for an excellent writer who thinks big and creatively about how impact litigation can advance human rights in the digital world, and who can identify important issues early.
We value candidates who bring diverse experiences and perspectives, professional and otherwise, to our team and to EFF as a whole. If you can add value to EFF’s legal team, please apply.
What You’ll Do: Staff attorneys at EFF are litigators first and foremost. If you’re hired, you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively on all aspects of impact litigation, including case development and management, working with clients, collaborating with outside organizations, and writing amicus briefs for cases in state and federal courts all over the country. In addition to litigation, you will be asked to counsel public interest clients, security researchers, and outside attorneys; to consult on legislative and regulatory matters related to technology and the public interest; to speak to the public and the press on our issues; and to write for EFF’s blog and social media.
The following skills are required:
- Excellent legal and non-legal writing and analytical skills, with experience drafting dispositive motions and appellate briefs
- Experience managing day-to-day projects and deadlines
- An eagerness to be part of a team of highly motivated lawyers and activists working collaboratively in a nonprofit environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of EFF’s mission
Plus strong familiarity and litigation experience in one or more of the subject matter areas that comprise EFF’s civil liberties docket, including:
- First Amendment and free expression
- Fourth Amendment and privacy
- National security
- Familiarity with issues at the intersection of technology and the public interest, especially those issues involving emerging technologies
We strongly encourage individuals with significant litigation experience, including working up and managing litigation, primary authorship on briefs, arguing dispositive motions and/or appeals, and managing attorneys, support staff, and interns to apply.
The following skills and experience are highly desirable, though not required:
- Some experience and interest in security research, artificial intelligence, or other evolving technologies
- Interest and/or experience in counseling security researchers
- Experience devising and carrying out case strategy, at the trial and/or appellate levels
- Experience writing amicus briefs
This position is based in San Francisco. Because we are highly collaborative and value our in-person time together, applicants seeking to work remotely will not be considered.